4/29/21

Why liberals do not join the police 2

I wrote in the previous post: 

The current police discussion in the USA reminds me of the excellent book by J.Haidt "The righteous mind" discussing the inherent difference between liberal and conservative moral foundations. This difference is well experimentally described in the book but what strikes my (conservative) mind is how liberal minds can serve the army and police. The liberal mind does not like authority and loyalty - the basis of hierarchy, order, honor, and duty. The police reformation (defund) discussion does not have a significant point - liberals have to reform the police from the inside, i.e. join the police and replace the rude policemen. However, they want the dirty part of the justice work to be done by somebody else and thus denying their own conviction that nobody has to be forced to do such a job. I do understand why liberals do not have overwhelming representation in the police force, but I do not understand how they are going to resolve actual social and criminal conflicts.


Now I have something to add. With the police crisis unfolding and the real depopulation of precincts, it seems that the idea behind the police defunding is much deeper than just to make the police weaker. I guess that the liberal mind sees the future force enforcement of the political power as applied to the society as driven by rules not be the law. As we observe now, the rules are adaptive and out of the legal field. The rules are developed ad hoc by the "derin devlet"   and introduced through media (old Soviet joke - newspaper cannot tell lies). This procedure is now under successful testing in the "cancel culture" process. We will see actual force enforcement actions very soon. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Sabine Hossenfelder: My dream died, and now I'm here

There is a big difference between Sabina's confession and what I experienced in the 1980s in the Soviet Union as a young scientists. It ...