6/7/21

R.I.P. Russian Economics

 Today, I checked my RePEc (Research Papers in Economics) statistics. Every month, RePEc provides an update on the overall, yearly, and monthly interest to personal publications for more than 62,000 registered members.  There are many measures used to assess the level of interest and success of the authors and papers. I am a professional physicist but amateur economist without any ambition in the economic profession and cannot read the Econ101 course. However, the indigenous interest (I am no name in economics) in my papers and articles is much higher than for almost all Russian economists. Below, I copied a list of 25 top Russian economists (from approximately 1500 registered with RePEc) by the total number of downloads. I am in place 8, but only 2 from 7 economists above me are actually Russian by place of birth and name. If to consider the number of abstract views, as shown in the next scan, I am definitely in place 1 among the Russians. (Interestingly, there is my classmate in the top 25 by abstract views.)  

There are such measures, of course, as the number of citations and h-index which depend on the intra-group recognition. In these measures, based on courtesy exchange, my position is lower. However, the overall interest in the works by the Russian professional economists as measured by downloading/reading their papers by the broader audience (62,000 registered economists)  is extremely low. 

R.I.P. Russian Economics 









No comments:

Post a Comment